Monday, May 22, 2006

Thoughts of a fat man

Right now I have an extreme dislike of ants. We've been finding them in our kitchen constantly for the last week, we've tried spraying Raid, but since the ants only seem to appear on surfaces that we need to use for food and such we cannot let the spray stay and do it's job for too long, after a day of no ants they are back. I'm not quite sure what to do about them. I have sprayed the exterior with a supposed ant deterrent to no avail. We have ant spikes outside and ant poison inside as well as the aforementioned spray, yet still they come. This year seems to be worse for some reason. I fear that we will have to completely empty our cabinet, spray, and then not use half of our kitchen for a couple of days. Maybe I should just call the Orkin man.

-------------------------

On another note I have recently become interested in the concept of IPTV. For those who don't know, that is the concept of watching TV over an internet connection instead of a cable connection. I read an article in Wired that listed a number of IPTV related startups. The idea of being able to ditch our $50+ cable bill for a $10 one sounded appealing. I checked out Akimbo. Initially I was excited about it until I figured out that the channel lineup is not particularly strong (compared to a digital/satellite cable package), I like my ESPN and HBO, and Shel likes her E! and VH1 so I am not sure how we would work around not having that sort of content. Also upon futher review they don't do a great job of being upfront about the amount of content that is not included in the $9.99 base price and the premium content is not easily distinguishable. I could see something like that getting out of hand quickly. The idea is good though and with more "free for all" content, more mainstream content, and an interface that distinguishes between premium and normal content more effectively Akimbo could be a great service and I would definitely consider ditching regular cable for that.

Anyways, despite my initial hopes being quelled I am certainly entertained by the idea of being able to download TV content over the web, so now I am interested in maybe using a combination of BitTorrent and RSS feeds to get interesting shows and clips. I am, however, a novice in this arena. I downloaded Democracy earlier tonight and was a bit confused by how it works, so I deleted it. I also happened upon Videora which appears as though it would be compatible with our Media Center (huge bonus if true), but I haven't taken the time to download it yet. Anyone out there with any BitTorrent/RSS experience? What do you use? Is there anything else compatible with Media Center besides Videora? Maybe I am just confusing the terms "internet TV" and "TV," but when the day comes that I can download any classic game, or a favorite episode of name that series, or the latest episode of Sopranos, or the latest viral clip and watch them on my TV at home with great resolution and audio will be a day where I am a happy man. I just hope they hurry up.

-------------------------

Great Bear Adventure: Bahia

The Guatemalan Corona, nuff said. 3.5 bottle caps out of 4

-------------------------

Ok, I have to go now, Suns and Clips, game 7, second half just started. Go Suns.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, using that Videora thing you can just have it dump the videos into the folder that is used for "My Videos" in MCE, but like you said the hard part is finding sites that won't disappear. Which is what make Akimbo nice if it say provided HBO, etc, it has a MCE front-end.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home