Sunday, March 26, 2006

Cinderella and Tony sitting in a tree

Although I do it rarely, I believe that one of the best ways to absorb a basketball game is via the radio. One March weekend when I was in elementary school, Mom took us to Chicago to the Business and Industry Museum, we saw all the sights and had a fun day. That night we drove home. On the way home the radio fell to a basketball game. But not just any basketball game, Duke versus Kentucky, regional final, Phildelphia, Christian Laettner. One of the greatest basketball games ever played. I heard it on the radio, and the excitement of listening to that game still gives me chills.

Funny how life works. Today we were driving home from Des Moines after seeing Mom. On the way out of town I tuned into a game already in progress. George Mason versus Conneticut. The game ebbed and flowed, both teams playing at a high level. The stakes were high, and the tension kept rising, both on the court and in my mind. After an amazing game George Mason prevailed. An 11 seed in the Final Four. There are much better scribes writing about this in much more eloquent terms, but I was giddy, moments like that don't happen all that often. There is a reason its my favorite tournament, and it is exactly for the times when Cinderella not only crashes the ball but makes everyone stop in their tracks and really take notice just like a fireworks laden WWE entrance routine.

I have my favorite for the NCAA championship and I WILL be watching the Final Four. Go GMU.

----------------------------

During the last couple of Sopranos episodes the crew has been grappling with Tony's like or death situation after his shooting at the hands of Junior. It is almost a cruel parallel to recent events in my family. For those of you wondering what it may have been like for us with my Mom, just have a look, that's pretty much how it has been going for us. It's hard to see someone you love hooked up to a ventilator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home